Wednesday 27 March 2013

Hi Ho Silver Lining

So bang goes another of my resolutions, then. Not buying any of the shortly-to-be-released Lone Ranger sets, that is.

I was never really a fan of the TV series, I don't have much of an interest in the upcoming Lone Ranger movie, and I was consequently quite happy to write off LEGO's Lone Ranger theme as just another movie tie-in and give it a miss, particularly given all the other excellent 2013 releases competing for my cash. And then Huw over at Brickset got sent a bunch of unreleased Lone Ranger sets courtesy of LEGO and asked me to review one of them - Set 79108 Stagecoach Escape - for Brickset and I'm afraid my resolve has started to crumble.


You can read my typically over-inclusive review of the set here, but cutting to the chase, five decent minifigures (of which two are outstanding), three of the new LEGO horses, and a surprisingly good stagecoach all add up to a cracking set. Huw's reviewed most of the other sets, and pretty much all of them have something to commend them as well.

So it's looking like I'll have to do without something else instead. Like food, maybe.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous28/3/13

    I'm resolved not to get them either, though for a completely different reason. I don't want any spoilers for a movie I'm VERY exited about, which probably means I won't be reading any reviews as well though the sets do look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know my resolve is likely going to crack on these as well and I'll probably end up with at least the stage coach and the train.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly the same situation for me, I had no intention of buying them, but with reviews and clearer images emerging I have decided I must have most of the Minifigures, and therefore I ought to buy the sets. (Your review on Brickset was not helpful with my resolve to avoid them :))

    The next few months are going to be rather expensive with Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Lone Ranger and Superman: Man of Steel sets to be bought!

    ReplyDelete